Monday, October 26, 2015

When It All Began

When It All Began


Hi Everyone. So where to start.... I guess I will start at the beginning when my life changed forever. When I was ten years old, October 2005, I went to bed perfectly healthy, but woke up dragging my right leg with no reflexes on my right side. We figured my "trigger" was having strep and the flu at the same time, apparently POTS was already in my system, because it can be hereditary, we think my mom has POTS as well. I started to get more symptoms and they continued to get worse. I went to the hospital four times in the first week, with one being an ambulance ride. I went through various tests, sometimes more than once, and was poked, prodded, scanned, and questioned over and over. My primary doctor at the time wanted me admitted for six weeks at UC Davis, luckily that didn't happen. I did not want to stay there any longer, because they messed up on a spinal tap they did. They had a resident perform it, and was off by a quarter of an inch, and had severe migraines for months after. 

Before my POTS was triggered, I was one of the most athletic kids you would ever know. I loved sports, even ones I could not play. I played soccer and softball from the age of four, had to quit soccer in 2007, and softball in 2009 my freshman year of high school. I loved swimming and basketball as well. I joined my local swim team, and that has been the best form of exercise for me since I got sick. I now swim for fun since I'm over the age limit now, and I only do that when my body will let me.

I have been in and out of school from 5th grade to Senior year of High School. I've been in home hospital and independent studies just to pass school. I couldn't function at school like "normal" kids. Whenever I would stand up, I passed out. Whenever I would walk a short amount of time, I became so sore, I would have to rest. Whenever I would eat something greasy or other types of food my body didn't like, I would become very sick. If I did to much the day before, I would become bedridden for days on end. My body became sluggish, tired, and painful. Medications didn't work, and that was all doctors would ever give me. 

During this time I have lost friends, but I gained something through all this, Loyal friends will stick through everything with you, and  others will show their true colors. During high school I lost many people I considered friends, but I found the ones who would stick with me through the thick and thin. Many "friends" will come and go, but the ones that are true friends will stay with me. I now have many close friends who sometimes still doesn't understand what I go through, but at least they are there for me when I need them the most. They always know they can count on me for them as well.  

I wasn't diagnosed with POTS until late December in 2009. With a tilt-table test. It was that simple, but yet I went through hundreds of doctors, who some told me I was faking, wanting drugs, or just plain crazy. I went through four years of people saying that to me even people I called friends and family. Once I was diagnosed people still didn't believe me, POTS is not a common name (it didn't get its name till the lat 90's). 1 of 200 children have this, most common in girls. But adults can get it later in life as well.

I wanted to be off all meds, because they didn't know what else to do. My mom and me joined facebook groups for POTS and we found some people do saline infusions. We found articles on it and brought it to my doctor who agreed to it, since it doesn't hurt. My body can't contain water, especially if they wanted to me to drink 8-10 bottles of water each day. I would get extremely nauseous after 2. We found that weekly saline infusions have helped so much, it gave me some sense of a life back. I graduated high school, and can now go to college full-time, even though its a junior college, it still lets me go to classes. I have gone for four years now once a week, sometimes twice. After two years my veins were collapsing, and they weren't that great from the beginning either. The nurses recommended a power port. I got my first one January 2014, and fell in love with it! I know weird right? But it changed my life, no more multiple pokes to get an I.V. started. I had to get it replaced after having it a year and a half, because of a blood clot on the tip. It broke off and now I have a clot in my arm for almost six months now. They have me on blood thinners which is difficult with trying to take pain meds, no ibuprofen. 

Now I take my days, one day at a time, and enjoy life while I can. My life may not be what normal 20 year olds are doing, but its my life and I don't care what others think. Sure I like to stay home and watch Netflix, then to go out partying with people. I like to still hang out with friends, just not what everyone else seems to think I should be doing.

Thanks for reading. I promise some of my other posts won't be as long... ;) 

Till next time! And Welcome to POTS Life. 

Click this Link to read more on POTS. 

- Nicole, POTS Life

4 comments:

  1. Great first post. I started blogging my life with Lyme a few years back. Lyme triggered POTS for me but we think it may be in our family too. Blogging can be a great outlet and helpful in sharing our struggles and triumphs with others. Keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was hesitant at first but I thought I had nothing to lose. It has been great just letting others know what I and others go through. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realized that your POTS started so young; I remember you as a vivacious little girl. You are a strong woman Nicole and there are a lot of people who will never understand what you deal with daily - even I can only partially empathize as my disease is very debilitating, but it does not affect me like POTS affects you. I enjoyed reading your blog. Keep on keeping on. <3

    ReplyDelete